Friday, June 6, 2008

I got a job!


After two or three weeks of job hunting (and going a little crazy doing so) I got a job at McMenamins Kennedy School, which is actually a hotel.

McMenamins are popular out here-- they have hotels, restaurants, pubs, theaters, breweries, wineries, and distilleries (and often, all of those things are together at one location.) They host a lot of live music. They are known for buying historic properties (especially properties that are at risk of being demolished because no one is willing to buy them) to house their operations.

So, the Kennedy School is an old elementary school- what used to be the auditorium is now the theater with tables and couches so you can eat/drink while watching your movie; the hotel rooms are in old classrooms (the original chalkboards are still on the walls); the brewery is in the former girls locker room; there's also a restaurant with a courtyard, a hot soaking pool, 5 bars- including "detention bar" which is a tiny cigar and whiskey bar, rooms to rent out for events- including what used to be the library and gym. People have weddings and receptions there too.

As for other McMenamins locations, there are lots of them, but to name a few- one is where an old poor farm used to be, and another in an old saloon that was originally run by a couple of Polish immigrants. The Mission theater where Dan and I went to a bluegrass show, used to be a church- the list goes on. Go to the website and look around-- pretty neat. They also have some really nice gardens and artwork on the properties. McMenamins.com

All-in-all, I like the job- I mean there were wine tastings at both our orientation and first department meeting. I eat free cheeseburgers and use the soaking pool. I like the people I work with, and I don't watch the clock. I'm a receptionist at the front desk, and eventually I want to be involved in music booking or event coordination for the company.

Picture Descriptions:
* These are not my pictures-- most are from the McMenamins website
1. Kennedy School Front
2. Kennedy School 102 degree soaking pool
3. Kennedy School theater (former auditorium)
4. Kennedy School restaurant
5. Kennedy School restaurant courtyard (I don't know these people)
6. Kennedy School "detention" cigar and whiskey bar

No comments: